Meditation has become quite popular. Nowadays, many people practice meditation regularly and enjoy its benefits. Countless studies show that meditation helps reduce stress, improves your sleep, lowers your cortisol levels and even improves memory and learning. Meditation improves everyday life and helps you feel happy and content.
The results of a study from the University of California, Santa Barbara, support these views. The researchers found that just a few weeks of meditation improved participants’ working memory and their overall test results.
Despite all the scientific evidence and research in meditation, many people still doubt its effectiveness or are reluctant to try it. There are widespread myths about meditation that are not necessarily true. Let’s take a look at some of the ways meditation improves everyday life.
Meditation improves everyday life in these ways
- Meditation is easy. It may seem difficult at first, so we recommend that you follow some form of guided breathing training. There are a lot of websites where you can get help getting started. Some of the guided meditations help you focus on your breathing, while others make you repeat mantras.
- The goal is not to completely shut off the outside world. Instead, the goal is to find peace with your thoughts. When you meditate, you simply observe your thoughts as they come and then let them disappear again. If you can disconnect yourself from your thoughts, you will feel more at peace with yourself. You will be able to open yourself up to new possibilities and simply enjoy what is around you.
- You will feel the benefits already after a few weeks. Scientific studies show that people who practice meditation feel less anxiety and are more peaceful after just eight weeks. Research shows that meditation stimulates the areas of the brain associated with memory, empathy, self-perception, and stress regulation. People who practice meditation also sleep better, are better at concentrating and have lower blood pressure, less stress and anxiety.
- It even improves your immune system. In 2011, Dr. Sara Lazar’s research team that mindfulness can actually change the structures of the brain. After an eight-week MBSR program (mindfulness-based stress reduction), the researchers were able to see that the hippocampus grew in size. The hippocampus is a structure in the brain that is important for learning and memory. Not only that, but areas that regulate emotions and self-evaluating processes also grew.
- Meditation helps you to be present. Meditation means that you come back in touch with your own self. It is the opposite of escapism.
How can I meditate?
- You only need to invest a small amount of time to be able to see results. Meditation gives you time for breaks. In the short respite from the hustle and bustle of your life, you can rest your mind before moving on.
- There are many ways to meditate. You can meditate standing, walking, during yoga, etc. You can use some guided mindfulness exercises, or you can listen to a podcast with meditation. The important thing is that you find the right type for you.
- What happens if I can not stop thinking? People have over 300 thoughts in 30 minutes. That’s way too many for us. However, most of us are good at moving forward at full speed. That way, one can practice getting the brain to rest a bit.
- Notice the benefits. Believe in the process. It takes practice and time. Enjoy your progress, even if it may feel slow, and enjoy the pleasure that comes with meditation.
- Find a method that works for you. It’s better to meditate for ten minutes than to try to do it for an hour just because people have told you it’s better. You just want to end up getting frustrated because you can not do it. Instead, you adapt your exercises to your needs.
Meditation is for everyone
You can begin to enjoy some of the benefits of meditation in your daily life by following a few simple steps:
- Do not be too harsh on yourself.
- Do not have too high expectations. Just enjoy the moment.
- If you are not able to find inner peace, then take a break.
- Meditate for yourself a peaceful place.
As you can see, meditation can improve your daily life in many areas. There are so many benefits to incorporating this simple workout into your habits. It helps you stop and become aware that you are living in the here and now. Meditation gives you the opportunity to rest in yourself and make contact with your inner self.